Halloween

Halloween

Monday, November 10, 2008

My Dad


Today would have been my dad's 68th birthday.  As many of you know, we lost him to Lung Cancer almost a year ago.  But instead of paying tribute to him on the anniversary of his death, I choose to remember him today.  I choose to remember him healthy  - sitting down on his dock at the lake, with a fishing pole in his hand.  Or dancing with me at Doug's and my wedding.  That is what he would have wanted.  

I miss him everyday and honestly I think the pain gets worse.  Worse because I see all the things he is missing in our lives.  67 was not long enough.  Regret is a horrible thing, and while my dad lived his life with the utmost integrity, love and honor - he regretted the fact that he smoked.  

Live a healthy life.  Take care of yourselves. Value your time with your loved ones.  

8 comments:

April said...

Katie, how wonderful for you to pay tribute to your Dad today. As you said, it is just what he would have wanted. I just love that picture of you and him dancing at your wedding. Absolutely beautiful. Happy Birthday to your sweet Dad.
Love you :)

Christen said...

Thinking of you today...thanks for sharing with us.

Mike and Jenn said...

My thoughts are with you and Aaron today. I feel for you in your loss. Try not to think of your dad as gone, because he isn't. He is always with you in everything that you do and all the great things that life gives you. He will always live on in your hearts and your memories where your love is the strongest.
Love from us,
Mike, Jenn & April

The Aguilars said...

What a beautiful post. I'm glad you have so many fond memories of your dad to cherish. I love seeing those pictures of him and especially smiling w/ you on your wedding. I hope the pain gets easier

Katie said...

What a great post. I can't imagine how hard it is, but you amaze me. You are one strong woman. Our thoughts are definitely with you today! And I have always loved that picture of you & your dad! Beautiful!
Love-
Katie and Troy

jess said...

What a beautiful way to celebrate and remember your Dad - on his birthday. Thinking of you today.

And what a great picture of the two of you!

Mo said...

What a great man - I feel so lucky to have met him and watch him interact with his pride and joy :)
Thanks for sharing your memories with us.

Laura Hesemann said...

Amen!